Welcome to the beginning stages of my new pet project! I spend a lot of time reading and scouring the internet for inspiration, so starting a blog is something that’s been incubating in my imagination for the past year or so. I’ve struggled a little with the direction, but I think I finally have it.
Here’s what I’ve got:
My goal in this new venture is to create a space where writers, readers, and creators can come together to share resources, ideas, and encouragement.
So essentially, when your creative juices evaporate into a thin, odorless mist (as they often do), you can come here to camp out for a spell and reboot.
Below is a general list of what you can expect to find here:
- Writing Resources: helpful guides, prompts of all kinds, advice from authors, etc.
- What I Love About… (insert author name here) Explorations in style and the love of reading
- I Need Help With…. (insert problem here: inspiration, discipline, organization, character development, plot planning) Advice and Pep Talks to get you going in the right direction
- Doses of Inspiration… Writing can be lonely. Hell, existing can be lonely. These little posts will (hopefully) send you back out better than you came in.
- Check-ins… Where I am with my writing and challenges I’m facing
To start off with, I have filled this space with a list of books, videos, and websites that have helped me tremendously with my own writing practice and life. Check out the resource page.
Not all of these resources, or posts, will deal entirely with writing. I believe that any kind of creative enterprise is a matter of looking at life, rolling it around in your imagination, stacking it up with your experience, tweaking it to fit into your own framework, then spitting it back out again to reveal something new. (Just thinking aloud, here, but you can quote me if you’d like).
So, in any of these posts, you might find televangelist sermons, ghost stories, surreal and absurd GIFs, poignant memoirs, the interiors of country manors, highlights from the news, or bizarre examples of American Folk art. My hope is that whatever you find here helps, or at least entertains you in some way.
So before I sign off, I think it’s best to end this first post with a disclaimer:
I’m an amateur/aspiring/whatever-you-want-to-call-it writer. I don’t have any novels to my name. I do have a short story published, which thrilled me to no end. I don’t have an agent or a book deal and I’m not paid to do any speaking engagements at writer’s conferences. I just love to write. I’m also notorious for starting books and not finishing them, so be warned.
So there we go, gang. I’m eager to get this new project started and am anxious/excited to see where it takes all of us.
And we’re off!